Friday, May 2, 2008

Service Award

This morning was our company's quarterly meeting. They go over how the company has done financially for the last 3 months as well as other things that the entire company would care about. At the end of these meetings, the CEO introduces all of the new people (hired in the last 3 months) by flashing up their picture and announcing their name and group. (This morning there were 99 names).

Then he calls everyone up for their service awards, so anyone who has been at the company for 5, 10, 15, or 20 years (our 25th anniversary as a company is next year!). Well, I got called up for my 10th anniversary and received my award which is essentially $1250. I can buy almost whatever I want and then get reimbursed. Fun, shopping!!

But it was all put in perspective by my friends Len and Olga. I have been getting congratulations from a bunch of people today and he called to congratulate me as well. And said, "Congratulations! 10 years at The Mathworks, that's a third of your life..." Holy cow, it is very weird to think of it that way. But its true. If I stay for another 10 half of my life will be spent here. Rare nowadays!

My friend Olga's comment was funny as well, "10 years and you are still very positive... that's good!" Luckily, it is my group that makes it so easy to stay positive and to enjoy my job :)

Plus, we just got free ice cream!

1 comment:

JSmith5780 said...

Congrats Lana! I am approaching ten years here also. Sad thing is, I guarantee my boss doesn't even know it. Not that he doesn't appreciate what I do (I just got a glowing appraisal) but he's male and generally clueless!